|Posted by Lex Fonteyne on March 23, 2010 at 11:38 AM|
I always used to think that writing was just about writing -- you come up with a story, you write it down, the end.
Well, it doesn't work that way in real life.
The past few days, I've been doing some clean-up on the text and cover for "True Colors." There are a billion little things you have to look at, fix, edit, take care of, revise, etc.
For example -- spellcheck. Nice feature but it doesn't catch everything, because sometimes errors don't involve misspellings! I had a paragraph in "Palindrome" that was supposed to start with "Then Jenny...." but I somehow forgot the "N" in "then" and it came out "The Jenny," which doesn't even make sense. Lucky I caught that one.
And I always have problems with paragraph spacing. I like to keep one blank row between paragraphs. It's easier on the eyes and makes for a smoother read. But, inevitably, while I'm going through the manuscript, I find places where two paragraphs are stuck together, or where there are too many blank rows between them. Then I have to fix those.
On the cover for "True Colors," I used the basic template from the "Perfectly Frank" cover because it worked well the last time. I added the pics, the new text, some miscellaneous odds and ends, and just before saving it as a PDF, I realized I hadn't changed the width of the spine.
This would have been a problem because "Frank" was 442 pages and the new one is only about 280. So the actual cover size (length) was too big for the new book, and I had to adjust the spine width accordingly.
Some day, I hope to be rich enough and famous enough that I can hire someone to do all the technical stuff for me! Until then, I'll just have to muddle through....